Italy is a Mediterranean country, so it’s not surprising that it’s popular for producing high-quality olive oils. Since not all olive oils from Italy are high-quality, I decided to make a short list of the best Italian olive oils you can buy in the USA.
Most olive oils in Italy are produced in Calabria and Puglia regions (more than 70%), but they’re often made from ripened fruit, which doesn’t provide such high-quality olive oil. The best olive oils are usually produced in the Tuscan and Umbrian regions, with most olive oils being high-quality extra virgin olive oils.
Now that you know the most important information, let’s see which Italian olive oils you should buy!
6 Best Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oils Available In The USA
Some of the finest EVO oils in the world are produced in Italy. It’s time to present the top 6 Italian extra virgin olive oil brands. These high-end brands have worked hard over the years to gain worldwide recognition and appreciation.
1. Olio Piro Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500ml
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Piro (check price here) is no doubt one of the best olive oils that I have ever tried. Their fantastic achievements just confirm my opinion. To just name a few: Gold Award on NYWorld2023, Gold award on OliveJapan2023, and many more.
Piro is first-cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil from Tuscany that has a fresh flavor and a peppery finish. It’s a blend of high-quality olive varieties: olivastra seggianese, leccino, moraiolo and frantoioano.
Since this oil is more expensive than others, I don’t recommend you just use it for everything. I suggest using it for dripping salads, cooking steaks and fish, and also for baking pizza – which is something that I prefer.
This post was originally a list of the 5 best Italian olive oils, but once I tried Piro, I had to enlarge the list a little bit.
2. Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil (check the price on Amazon now) is the most well-known imported brand of Italian olive oil, which can be found in both large supermarkets and specialty stores selling Italian foods. This expertly prepared olive oil is made from the finest and freshest olives found in Apulia and its surroundings.
The Colavita family has been devotedly working for four generations to put top-notch items on kitchen tables globally. With a smooth texture and a rich combination of fruity and spicy flavors, Colavita Premium Selection Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the ideal everyday olive oil.
- It is cold-pressed from the finest olives to ensure ultimate freshness
- Perfect for marinades, dressings, roasting, and baking
- OU Kosher and North American Olive Oil Association Certified
- Cholesterol Free
- The classic daily oil has a fruit and spice ratio that is perfectly balanced.
3. Monini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The next of the best Italian olive oil brands is Monini Extra Virgin Olive Oil (check the price on Amazon now). Classico Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a rich, complex flavor and well-balanced and harmonious sensory qualities. The lovely freshness notes bring to mind the aroma of recently cut grass.
Since 1920 and handed down to three generations, Monini has been a premium, yet reasonably priced, Italian olive oil brand. The fact that Monini Extra Virgin Olive Oil is appropriate for everything is a plus. For instance, whether you are cooking soup, salad, meat, or vegetables, Monini will liven up your dish.
- Superior olive oil obtained 100% manually, directly from the olives
- With pleasant freshness that are similar of the aroma of freshly cut grass
- Used in the kitchen to meet a variety of taste preferences, balancing the flavor of sauces, roasts, side dishes, and raw condiments.
- You only need a few drops of this premium olive oil to give your food a rich taste boost.
- This item has an IGP: Protected Geographical Indication seal of approval
4. Partanna Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Partanna extra virgin olive oil (check the price on Amazon) is ideal for drizzling, dressing, and finalizing recipes. Partanna extra virgin olive oil is first cold-pressed oil that is harvested and packaged only in October.
When Partanna tins are initially opened, the oil is hazy, green in color, and tastes strongly of “pizzicante.” As the sediment settles to the bottom of the tin, the oil ages and gradually becomes clearer and mellower.
The Asaro family has been producing it since 1916, and it has always maintained the same excellent standards. The unfiltered olive oil made with Noccelara del Belice olives is packaged in a sizable, eye-catching tin, which also keeps the oil fresher for longer.
- Received many awards for quality that ranked it as the best olive oil in the world.
- It can go with almost any cuisine and has very low acidity, around 0.3%
- A preferred option among famous chefs.
- Winner of three gold medals and one best-in-class award at the L.A. County Fair and the NYIOOC
- Cold extracted within 24 hours from picking unripe green
5. Flippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
With fruit and grass notes, Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil (check the price on Amazon) is well-balanced with a slightly strong aftertaste. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is renowned for its consistently high quality and the strict controls that are implemented at every stage.
With a more than 150-year history, Filippo Berio is one of the most well-known olive oil brands in the world. It has endless uses, from making fish, meat, vegetables, to salad dressing, spread over pasta, sauces, gravies, marinating, or roasting.
The Filippo Berio Organic brand is ICEA organic certified and possesses all the same qualities of traditional extra virgin olive oil.
- contains essential nutrients, along with beneficial unsaturated fats and antioxidants.
- Naturally free from cholesterol, trans fat, gluten, GMOs, sugar, and sodium
- Contains a Pop-Up Pour Spout for easy drizzling and precise pouring
- Perfect for salad dressing, flavoring, dipping, and marinating
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
6. Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil (check the price on Amazon) is skillfully prepared by olive oil experts from the first cold-pressed olives. These original olive oils are created to support daily eating and healthy living.
This oil had a delicate texture and hints of delicious olives and oak. Even though it is delicious on its own, using it in food creates even greater highs.
Pompeian Smooth Extra Virgin Olive Oil pairs perfectly with your soups, salads, stir-fries, and marinades because of its smoother flavor and milder taste. Also fantastic for dipping and drizzling!
The only thing I resent about this olive oil manufacturer is the packaging. They should invest in a bit better storage container, so the oil stays fresh for a longer time.
- 100% farmers crafted, which ensures that only the finest olives are selected
- Naturally free of gluten and allergies, kosher and non-GMO Project verified.
- Certified for Authenticity by the North American Olive Oil Association (NAOOA) and USDA certified
- Ideal for stir-frying, sautéing, and sauces
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of olive oils do Italians use?
Italians use their finest extra virgin olive oil, “crudo,” which means drizzled raw. They use it over vegetables, pasta, and meat to impart luscious, fruity, or peppery layers of flavor.
Which region in Italy produces the most olive oil?
The majority of Italian olive oil is produced in South Italy. According to the USDA Foreign Agricultural Service, 82% of Italian olive oil is made in South Italy. At the same time, Calabria and Puglia (regions of Italy) produce 68% of the world’s olive oil.
Which olive variety is most popular in Italy?
Frantoio, Taggiasca, and Nocellara are the most famous Italian olive varieties. They are also called cultivars. But Frantoio is among Italy’s most praised, popular, and widespread olive varieties.
Are Italian extra virgin olive oils any good?
Italian olive oils are among the list of top-notch olive oil producing countries. Because it has linked to a long list of benefits like, it may protect against inflammation, heart disease, breast cancer, and type 2 diabetes. Italian olive oils are loaded with heart-healthy fats and antioxidants, making them a great addition to a nutritious diet.
You have probably learned a lot about which olive oil to add to your grocery list after reading the list of the top 5 Italian olive oil brands. These Italian extra virgin olive oil manufacturers have all been providing us with a healthy lifestyle for decades, and some for centuries. You already know how important EVOO is in the kitchen, but my goal was to help you find the best good-to-go Italian olive oil for your lifestyle.